To apply at the library, you can ask for an application at the front desk, or you can print the corresponding application below. Then fill out the application and return it to the library. We accept all applications and keep them on file, even if we are not currently hiring.
(There are no open positions at this time)
Hiring Position GuideBoard Approved Date: February 10, 2004 Amended: 3/11/08
Position: Staff Librarian of Centralia Public Library Position reports to – Library Director Permanent status to be approved by Board of Trustees of Centralia Public Library Essential Functions:
- To have knowledge of the computer, typewriter & calculator.
- Must be willing to administer and perform duties associated with all library materials such as books, audio’s, DVD’s, CD’s, videos and periodicals.
- Must be able to operate multi-line phone and exhibit a courteous phone style.
- Must be enthusiastic towards developing and implementing special programs.
- Must maintain a flexible attitude toward work scheduling and will be required to work some weekends & evenings.
- Must maintain courteous & professional behavior toward all patrons.
Education, Skills & Abilities
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must exhibit ability to interact effectively and professionally toward others.
- Ability to perform basic math skills such as add, subtract, multiply and divide.
- The physical demands are those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to stand for extended periods of time; frequent walking, kneeling, reaching above shoulder level, stooping and lifting up to 50 pounds.
Job Description – Staff LibrarianBoard Approved Date: February 10, 2004 Amended: 12/12/06
The staff librarian is responsible to the Library Director. Together they will endeavor to maintain the best possible library and service to all patrons following the Library’s mission statement… The mission of the Centralia Public Library is to provide its patrons and the community with materials, programs and services to enhance their lives. Starting salary is dependent upon experience. An exception may be made with the approval of the Board of Trustees. Staff librarians will work 50 hours every two weeks or up to 60 hours every two weeks with the Library Director’s approval. Raises will be according to the schedule set by the Board of Trustees. An evaluation will be given to the staff librarians once a year in February and any raise will be determined and approved at the next Board of Trustees meeting. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the general supervision of the Director this position has primary responsibility for providing information services to the public.
- Essential to meet public in a professional and courteous manner.
- Is expected to follow instructions given by Director &/or Board of Trustees.
- Is expected to follow office policies and procedures unless situation warrants differently. In this case, the staff librarian will use their best judgment of the situation and notify Director of any abnormal situations.
- Trains and assists patrons in the use of the library’s automated and electronic software applications, computer hardware and use of copiers and equipment.
- Attend staff meetings as set by the Library Director.
- Work with other staff members to change work schedule when necessary.
- Participate in special library projects and events.
- Keep a low volume work environment.
- Be willing to accept change.
- Willing to attend conferences & meetings offered when relevant to their job. Conferences to be approved by Director, Board of Trustees and librarian.
- Essential to always be respectful of all employees and patrons.
- Willing to work together to create changes to improve the Library.
- Assist library patrons in locating and using library services, materials and equipment.
- Have basic working knowledge of the computer, typewriter, calculator, microfiche machine & microfilm reader.
- Utilize work time in office constructively to shelve, alphabetize, order and process books, audios, DVDs, CDs & videos; plan and implement special programs.
- Assist with selection procedures as instructed; assist with filing and organization of vertical file.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Job Description – Student LibrarianBoard Approved Date: February 10, 2004 Amended: 03/11/08
- Student librarians will be under the direct guidance of the Library Director.
- Student must be 16 years of age. Student can be 15 years of age with a work permit signed by parent or legal guardian.
- Starting salary will be minimum wage.
- Hours will be set by Library Director. Schedule will be flexible for students with extra curricular needs. Hours are to be shared between the students.
- Student librarian will let Director &/or staff librarian know when there is a conflict of schedule. Student librarians will work together to make sure shifts are covered.
- Student will have a 60 day probationary period directly upon hiring.
- An evaluation will be given to the student librarian at 30 days, 60 days and then yearly thereafter in February.
- Student librarian may not use computers for any personal time unless on break or at lunch.
- Student librarian may read if all current duties are completed.
Duties will include the following:
- Greet all patrons on arrival
- Assist in checking in/out books at front desk
- Offer assistance to patrons looking for books
- Shelve books on rolling carts
- Empty and put away supply order boxes. (Put all packing slips or paperwork in Director’s mailbox)
- Enter incoming magazines
- Shelve, alphabetize and straighten books, videos, audios, CD’s, DVD’s, newspapers & periodicals.
- Help patrons with basic computer needs
- Empty trash cans
- Assist staff librarians in processing new books
- Misc. job requests put on Student Librarian list by staff or director